[IP] Video game companies sue 321 Studios under DMCA for backup program

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 15, 2004 8:05:44 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>, ip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Video game companies sue 321 Studios under DMCA for backup program

[For IP, if worthy ... Here we go again ...
This is in the news, but I've gone to the trouble of getting the
original sources for the press release and the DMCA lawsuit.]

Lawsuit: http://www.theesa.com/321StudiosComplaint.pdf

Press Release: http://www.theesa.com/6_15_2004.html

  Washington, DC -- June 15, 2004 -- Opening a major new front in the
  entertainment software industry's battle against piracy, leading
  video game companies today filed a lawsuit to block the trafficking
  and sale of software that cracks the copy protection systems used by
  game makers to protect their titles from illegal copying, the
  Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced today.

  Three ESA members, Atari, Inc., Electronic Arts Inc., and Vivendi
  Universal Games, Inc., filed the lawsuit against 321 Studios in
  U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, contending
  that 321 Studios' "Games X Copy" software is illegal because it
  violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) by circumventing
  the technological protection measures used by entertainment software
  publishers to prevent game piracy.

  ""Masquerading as a consumer friendly tool, 321 Studios' software
  is, in truth, really nothing more than a device to facilitate the
  illegal copying of games," said Douglas Lowenstein, president of the
  Entertainment Software Association, the trade association that
  represents U.S. computer and video game publishers. "Federal law
  makes it clear that it is illegal to manufacture, distribute, or
  sell devices or programs that circumvent technological protection
  measures built into video games. That's exactly what 321 Studios'
  Games X Copy does, and we fully expect the court to grant our
  request to ban this product."

Seth Finkelstein Consulting Programmer sethf@xxxxxxxxx http://sethf.com
Interview: http://grep.law.harvard.edu/article.pl?sid=03/12/16/0526234
Seth Finkelstein's Infothought blog - http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/