[IP] Morgan-Chase-BankOne: 10,000 fewer jobs; one larger conglomerate

And thus we improve our productivity (less people)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Warren <jwarren@xxxxxxxx>
Date: June 15, 2004 5:41:50 PM EDT
To: "Dave Farber: ;Declan McCullagh" <declan@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Morgan-Chase-BankOne: 10,000 fewer jobs; one larger conglomerate

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBA0199HVD.html

Fed Approves Merger of J.P. Morgan Chase and Bank One to Form Second-Largest Bank

By Marcy Gordon The Associated Press
Published: Jun 14, 2004

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Federal Reserve has cleared the way for Wall Street powerhouse J.P. Morgan Chase to combine with and absorb Chicago-based Bank One, forming the nation's second-largest bank with more than $1 trillion in assets.

The Fed's board of governors, including Chairman Alan Greenspan, voted 6-0 Monday to approve the megamerger, finding that it would not threaten competition or unduly concentrate banking resources.

The central bank's order noted that J.P. Morgan Chase and Bank One compete directly in seven markets in Delaware, Florida and Texas. It said that the Justice Department, in a separate review, also concluded and advised the Fed that the merger "likely would not have a significantly adverse effect on competition in any relevant market."

Following the Fed's announcement, the two companies said they had set 12:01 a.m. EDT on July 1 as the effective time of their merger. Shareholders of the two approved the all-stock merger in separate votes last month, and state regulators have blessed it.

The $58 billion merger will erase about 10,000 jobs by 2006 and the Bank One name sooner, in one of a crop of new consolidations in the financial services industry. Some experts believe the combination will shift the U.S. banking industry landscape, setting off a cascade of deals among mid-sized institutions ... <SNIP> ...

========

Once upon a time, corporations were actually expected to benefit the people of the state that granted them their charter. Why ... some states even <gasp!> cancelled corporate charters when their corporations were seen as being harmful to their communities or the states that granted them.

Much has already been said about the "benefits" of media conglomerates controlling almost everything we see and read (except online [so far]). Now, we have Morgan-Chase-BankOne (or whatever it'll call itself). We know these mega-mergers benefit the top executives of the surviving corporations. And perhaps those who are sufficiently well-off to risk investing in the market. (Well, at least initially -- e.g. the Time-Warner-Disney-AOL debacle.)

But -- in our blind religious fervor for unfettered capitalism and "efficiency," at any cost -- might we EVER give a tiny moment's consideration to the value and benefits -- or harms! -- that the communities, and We the People, derive from having ever-larger monoliths controlling ever-more of our lives? And jobs? (In India as well as the USA! ;-)

--jim