[IP] incompetence upon incompetence: Bamford/NYT/Rent a Spy: "So we're all just sitting there looking at each other, and we're making a ridiculous amount of money."

Begin forwarded message:

From: the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow <geoffg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 14, 2004 1:40:29 AM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: incompetence upon incompetence: Bamford/NYT/Rent a Spy: "So we're all just sitting there looking at each other, and we're making a ridiculous amount of money."

THE NEW YORK TIMES
OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
This Spy for Rent
By JAMES BAMFORD

WASHINGTON -- Assessing, cultivating and recruiting spies has long
been a key job of Central Intelligence Agency officers. But now it is
the C.I.A. officers themselves who are being assessed, cultivated and
recruited — sometimes right out of the agency's cafeteria. In what is
leading to a critical spy drain, private companies are aggressively
seeking highly trained employees of our espionage agencies to fill
government contracts.

With the resignation of George Tenet as director of central
intelligence and the final hearings of the 9/11 commission this week,
the stage is set for the first major restructuring of the intelligence
community in decades. While there has been much discussion of moving
agencies and creating an "intelligence czar," the privatization of our
spies has been largely overlooked.

The C.I.A. is awash in money as a result of post-9/11 budget
increases. But because of the general uncertainty over the future, it
faces a long delay before it can recruit, train and develop a new
generation of spies and analysts. So for now it is building up its
staff by turning to the "intelligence-industrial complex."

--snip--

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/13/opinion/13BAMF.html