[IP] more on Why the FCC should die

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <rmfxixB0406@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 12, 2004 11:41:11 PM EDT
To: "'JFC (Jefsey) Morfin'" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxx>, Bob2-19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: dave@xxxxxxxxxx, "'David P. Reed'" <dpreed@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Why the FCC should die

I want to preface this by noting I find it far easier to post these short
(well, it was supposed to be short) comments than writing (and editing)
"real" essays where I try to give more information for a wider audience and tend to be more cautious. I'm willing to post teasers to those who already
have enough background. (I can also get away with typos that are more
embarrassing in a more formal posting.)

Trying to actually explain why digital systems composite into stable systems (at scale, with perturbation etc) is a challenge that I am still working on.
How to explain this to people is an interesting challenge -- one of my
college advisors, Seymour Papert, gave me with a number of insights about
how people learn (and the flip side, how to teach them) as well as the
limits. I can't need to reach everyone -- but I can reach some.

These concepts are about more than just computers -- they apply to systems in general including economic systems (marketplaces) as I pointed out in my recent posting about the US becoming nation of lessees. Marketplaces that provide opportunity rather than solutions are a vital part of what produces the virtuous cycles in which demand actually creates supply (if no one else
claims it I'll call it Frankston's law). This is very much related to
digital systems which can preserve success and regenerate it. Opportunity is
another way of saying that meaning gets defined at the edge whereas
solutions are defined by the center or provider.

These ideas influence the way I look at IP (TCP is at the application
layer). I very much agree that IP is broken because it is too smart -- those
at the edge are dependent upon a layer that provides addresses and has
created a scarcity of edge identifiers. The DNS was meant provide more
stable identifiers but has failed because of governance which has made the
DNS identifiers too valuable to be owned and has assured that they are
scarce and unstable.

The key is to recognize that the idealized Internet in which we could treat IP addresses (or DNS names) as stable end-point identifiers worked very well
and gave us all the opportunity participate in discovering the web (a
process of preserving that which worked and discarding that which didn't).

Unfortunately we've gone too far beyond the design point of the prototype and we now have just-enough "Internet" to keep the asymmetric web sort of working. P2P approaches work around some of the problems in various ways but without the synergy of a large commons and with varying degrees of success.

Given that we can coin our own GUIDs (Globally Unique Identifiers) we don't
need the to depend upon the IP address as anything more than a transient
routing handle if we choose to route over the legacy Internet. Hosting TCP
et al above the GUIDs (in the role of IP) allows us to preserve the
successful applications.

This may seem naively simple but it's essentially the same as current IP -- only without the dependency on providers and without any limit on the number
of identifiers available. Obvious questions like how do you find a path
between two end points are easily handled -- a simplistic model is to just
post the path in a common directory if you want to be found.

It's actually a tad more complicated than that because crypto is essential. What makes it difficult is managing human foibles against crypto with issues such as compromised and lost keys as well as matching human intent with the rigidities of crypto. That's where I'm focusing my attention before writing
up a design in detail.

One test of an architecture is what "just works" and this approaches gets us mobility and a dynamic network while mooting ICANN and the DNS. I am trying
to provide mechanisms (opportunity) rather than implementing policies
(solutions). It doesn't even make sense to ask Mr Internet to define trust
and security.

By understanding how and why digital systems composite and evolve we have can effective alternative to central governance and we gain the ability to
innovate and experiment. We can preserve those experiments that work and
survive those that don't.

Prescriptive governance denies us the benefits of such a process.