[IP] more on PATRIOT Act subpoenas (additional abuses)

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Eric C. Grimm" <eric.grimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 4, 2004 10:49:13 AM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx, Ip <ip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [IP] PATRIOT Act subpoenas (additional abuses)

Dave --

It seems odd to me that the defenders of the PATRIOT act urge us to look at
the details of the Act and stop viewing it as Federal law enforcement's
ticket to do essentially whatever law enforcement wants, without procedural
safeguards.

When you get into the trenches and watch how they are actually using
PATRIOT, however, it becomes pretty clear that law enfocement has
interpreted it as their ticket to do whatever they want.

My personal pet peeve is the Treasury Department's abuse of PATRIOT, as part
of investigations having absolutely nothing to do with terrorism.

For instance, I represent a small Internet service provider. Over a year ago, they received from the Customs Service (part of Treasury) a subpoena for a customer's personal information. The Subpoena purported to be about some buzz-word called "cybersmuggling" (how do you smuggle stuff over the
Internet? -- perhaps we're closer to Star Trek transporters than I ever
imagined!), and had no apparent connection to terrorism.

And, of course, Customs insisted that we must not tell anyone else about
their Subpoena (don't want anyone to scrutinize and question what the
Government is doing, I suppose).  I've provided a redacted copy of my
response letter to Customs (revealing no details of the investigation or the
subject) to Chilling Efffects, and even they appear to be afraid to
publicize this abuse.

Most alarming was that Customs failed to identify any particular section of PATRIOT that served as the basis of the authority they purported to exercise
(even after I asked them to identify the section they relied upon).
Instead, they simply referred to the PATRIOT act, by blanket reference to the Congressional Bill number for the bill that later became the act (after
amendments).

What passed out of Congress was, needless to say, several hundred pages in length -- and Customs insists on leaving all of us guessing which section they rely upon. They did not evem bother to refer to the Public Law Number
of the legislation signed by the President (instead they refer to the
pre-passage bill number)!

Concerned that Customs's approach may have been inappropriate, I sent them
correspondence detailing these problems at length, and asking them to
correct the language used in their subpoenas.

The information we turned over was, essentialy, the same stuff that an ISP cannot withhold in the face of a civil subpoena. So, I very much doubt that the heavy-handed use of PATRIOT actually got Customs any information that
they could not have obtained through less heavy-handed means.

About eight months later, same client received exactly the same language in another Subpoena (another investigation and another, apparently unrelated,
target).  Customs had not done a single thing to reform their conduct --
even though I had provided a detailed explanation of what was required to
become minimally compliant with normal, professional, legal and law
enforcement practice.

The excuse given by Customs: They ran the language (referring to PATRIOT by
bill number, instead of statutory section or even Public Law Number, and
requiring recipient to guess which of hundreds of pages of legislation might be involved) by "an attorney at the Justice Department" and decided to stick
with the "PATRIOT means we can do whatever we want" interpretation.

No doubt many of your other subscribers have similar tales of woe to share. However, some of us are more wiling than others to stand up and complain in public in the face of Customs's "don't tell anyone else how we are abusing
the law" command.

Eric C. Grimm
Calligaro & Meyering, P.C.
20600 Eureka Road, Ste 900