[IP] Any suggestions re WiFi sane interfaces

I am using a T40 (IBM) (no nasty cracks) and find the normal Windows network connection software to be less that sane. For example at home it endlessly tries to connect to a very weak access point from a neighbor and not my strong signal. I need one that lets me define the order of trying and lets me ban certain access points. Know any decent software that will work with the T40?

Dave

and yes I know my MAC does this all correctly as is (mostly). Why cannot MS get it right