[IP] more on Better Off Without E-Mail?

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:00:41 -0500
From: Dave Wilson <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IP] Better Off Without E-Mail?
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx

>>If the spammers keep up this type of attack they could kill their
>>golden goose, destroying the email system they're tring to monopolize.
>>--
>>          Jim Gillogly

I don't expect people will come to their senses. USENET, a kind of
electronic bulletin board system, was effectively destroyed for most users
because of spamming and off-topic postings. In fact USENET has effectively
disappeared from the net's collective consciousness; most of today's
Internet users are unaware that it even exists (because it became so
inefficient it effectively ceased to exist). I'd suggest the spam issue is
a classic Tragedy of the Commons problem: People take what they want, now,
because there are no forces -- market or otherwise -- that compel them to
stop.

-dave