[IP] Better Off Without E-Mail?

As I have said before, unless something can be done with email and spamming soon, one of the main drivers of net use for many folks will be not used or not at much used and the usefulness of the net to the average person will go down and with it PC sales etc.

Time to worry and do something

Dave

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:42:33 -0700
From: Jim Gillogly <jim@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IP] Better Off Without E-Mail?
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx

Donald Knuth gave up email in 1990 - he talks about this decision at
http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/email.html .

Gandhi's dictum: there's more to life than making it go faster.

I'm not ready to give up email myself yet, but if more worms like Swen
continue to target my address (which has been the same for over a decade),
I may be tempted to dump it.  I lost about a day's worth of mail when I
was away from my machines because the spools on my ISP filled up with
Swens, and I spent another couple of hours reconfiguring my mailboxes so
that it won't happen again as long as my mail reader stays up and keeps
moving things off the remote server.

If the spammers keep up this type of attack they could kill their
golden goose, destroying the email system they're tring to monopolize.
--
         Jim Gillogly