[IP] more on The Level of Discourse Continues to Slide

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:06:43 -0400
From: Jerry Levine || patchmonkey <patchmonkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [IP] The Level of Discourse Continues to Slide
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx

This is born and bred in colleges and universities all over the country.
Rather than teaching how to do things correctly, most professors (and
I'm going from my personal experience, not attempting to insult) don't
present well either.

In fact, the best I've seen is when the professor looked at the class
sleeping, said "Screw this", and taught the rest of the semester by
speaking and writing on the board.

There's a true art to presenting. Some people are very good at it. But
students in college need to be taught "How To Present 101". Grading
matricies for presentations have to have an added element - how well you
present and keep your audience's attention.

In fact, to make a bad presentation good (or great even), there's only a
few things that need to happen:

1) "Don't read the slide and Don't put whole sentences" - You're up
there presenting, not reading a story to children who can't read. If the
senteneces are up there, you don't need to be - because no one wants to
be read to (and frankly, this is the biggest problem).

2) "Take a public speaking, theatre, or performance course." - This
makes a huge difference. Knowing how to control one's voice can really
help when presenting.

Mr. Aniballi's statement that "Engineers rarely have a clue..." is true
- but the fact is that most people, no matter their age or profession,
have a clue.

.. Jerry Levine .................
.. jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ........       www.jerrylevine.com [work]
.. jlevine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .....       www.gaijeans.com [portfolio]
.. patchmonkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ..       www.patchmonkey.net [personal]
........The best way to predict the future is to invent it............