[IP] more on 'Don't Fear New Bar Codes,' USA Today

Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:52:59 -0400
From: Alexandros Papadopoulos <apapadop@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IP] 'Don't Fear New Bar Codes,' USA Today
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx

On Sunday 28 September 2003 08:04, Dave Farber wrote:
> >Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:52:56 -0700
>
> From: Denise Caruso <caruso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >Subject: 'Don't Fear New Bar Codes,' USA Today
> >To: farber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> >Dave,
> >
> >Don't know if you saw this piece in USA Today last week on EPCs. A
> > friend (also the author) just sent it to me. Thought it might be
> > interesting to see what IP folks think of it. I "hear him," as we
> > say here in California, but I don't agree.  Then again I never have
> > been big on ubiquitous surveillance, or the products that could
> > enable it. You'll forgive me if the MIT guidelines don't make me
> > feel happier about embracing EPC-ed products. You'll forgive me if
> > I have a deep distrust of anyone who claims to be ensuring that my
> > (consumer/citizen) interests will be "paramount." Particularly at
> > this particular moment in history.

Pardon my ignorance if this is mistaken, but didn't the same groups
(corporations, lobbyists and the government, I would assume with
academic support) provide assurances that the Social Security Number
would NEVER be used as a national ID?

The reality is, of course, that you don't *exist* in contemporary USA
without an SSN.

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265