[IP] more on what your children learn in school

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:31:43 -0400
From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on what your children learn in school
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx, ip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

While it is hard to give a complex message in elementary school this
particular one is offensive and dangerous. Once we make this a moral issue
there is no room for nor even the concept of a discussion of the issues.

It's part of the Santa Claus tradition that assumes we can easily
distinguish good from evil and outlaw evil. We can create the .XXX domain
for evil and the .KIDs domain for good. We can ban phone calls from bad
people (the do-not-call list) and ban mail from spammers (bad people). No
need for nuance or ambiguity.

We can even allow free speech as long as nothing says anything wrong.

This is the problem with consolidation of media -- the messages reinforce
their audience's prejudice.

There is indeed a contradiction -- limiting media concentration is a form of
censorship and I look forward to the end of the control over the channels
that is associated with the telecommunications model that presumes the
transport and contents are tied together.

Once we get past that then we will have to address the question of whether
people actually want to see ideas that challenge them -- just because
they're available doesn't mean they will be heard. But it's a risk we'll
have to take.