Re: [ga] Some Wild-Card Questions

Michael and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  Glad to answer your questions below.  However this was an issue
last june-aug. and I have to wonder why the ICANN BoD and staff
ducked it than or did not listen to the comments solicited and provided.

Answers to your questions below...

Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Because the ICANN Board may be required to address this issue in the future,
> I will not comment publicly at this time. Listed below are some of the
> questions that I have identified as relevant in my personal analysis, and
> which I would like input from the community.
>
> (1) Does the use of wild-cards threaten the stability of the Internet, if so
> how (specific examples not generalization)?

  No.

> (2) Does the use of wild-cards adversely impact competition in the
> marketplace, if so how?

 No.

> (3) Can these stability/competition issues be addressed by best practice
> standards that would still permit the use of a wild card service by a
> registry operator?

 No.

> (4) How is the use of wild-cards similar or different to the WLS service
> previously proposed by VeriSign?

  I can't see any that are significant. However WLS is a bad idea.

> (5) What protocols does the use of wild-cards violate? Specifically, does
> the use of Wild Cards violate RFC 1034, 1035, and 2182 as VeriSign is
> required to comply with these RFCs in Appendix C of its Registry Agreement.

  None that I am aware of.  However there may be a need for such
should be generated if the stakeholder/user community believes that
and RFC to prevent the use of wild cards or allow under certain
specific conditions.

> (6) If the use of wild-cards threaten the stability of the Internet why did
> ICANN allow the incorporation of a wild card service into the .MUSEUM
> registry contract?

  Who know why ICANN allowed .MUSEUM as a TLD to be created
in the first place...

> (7) If the use of the wild-cards threaten the stability of the Internet, why
> do several ccTLD operators currently utilize this feature?

  Because they want to?

> (8) If the use of wild cards threaten the stability of the Internet, should
> their prohibition be enforced across gTLD and ccTLD registries, if so how?

  No.

> Best regards,
>
> Michael D. Palage
>
> P.S. And in response to Andy Gardner's question
> http://any-signs-of-life-within-icanns-current-board-of-directors.net/ I
> would submit that the answer is yes :-)

Regards,

--