Re: [ga] PLEASE COMMENT: Suggested ALAC response to sTLD RFP

Rick

I am astonished at your comment, because www.icannatlarge.org is effectively
the "Legacy" At Large which mobilised when the At Large Board members were
told they would be expelled by ICANN (who didn't like their independent
views).

You yourself joined this 'continuing' At Large as you have said.

Since then, we have had three public elections, and 99% or more of the
membership were contacted and involved in those elections, and you seem to
have been omitted. (I am astonished but there has to be some reason, and if
you have been so out of touch I can only assume your e-mail has been changed
or mislaid).

The simple facts of the matter are that IcannatLarge has continued to
operate throughout with openness (all Mailing Lists including thousands upon
thousands of e-mails are archived and accessible to the public online) and
with direct communication to members of all important events such as
elections, using our 'Announce' list. This is not myth. It's the simple
truth Rick.

Compare and contrast... ALAC ...

About a dozen or twenty e-mails posted... almost complete non-participation
by the mass of the At Large... as you would expect when something is just
being orchestrated by the Board on the pretence of legitimacy.

I have read many posts by you Rick and have respected many of them.

However I assure you that you are mistaken on this one. You seem to turn
reality on its head.

It is the continuing At Large, not ALAC, which finds itself with the active
mailing lists (all visible and ongoing).

It is the continuing At Large, not ALAC, which democratically elects its
representatives.

It is the continuing At Large, not ALAC, which springs from the initiatives
of ordinary individuals, bottom up, not top down.

It is the continuing At Large, not ALAC, which seems to attract the
participation of larger numbers of people.

You refer to my webpages at www.AtLarge.org

These are just forwarding pages to the real At Large, although there is a
good possibility/probability that IcannatLarge will change its name to
simply the At Large - which is what we have always been.

Of course, there is a multiplicity of interests involved in Internet
Governance (including Registrars!)...

But I think you are mistaken to suggest that the real and continuing At
Large, with its very active constituency, fails to contact people (simply
not the case) or disregards people's views (there are ongoing debates and
discussions all the time, which you like any other member can engage in... I
hope you do).

But just because you have "never participated" in IcannAtLarge (real At
Large) does not mean that all the thousands (tens of thousands) of other
contributions are to be disregarded.

ALAC is basically the Denise Michel show, and poor Denise has a hell of a
job trying to rope in a handful of others, but that's what the Board has
hired her and paid her to do.

ALAC is simply a top-down Boardroom exercise in damage limitation, imposed
with its pre-ordained structures, and almost wholly ignored by individuals.

Let me put this simple question to you:

Icann At Large e-mail postings: 8,000 to 10,000 (archived)
ALAC e-mail postings: 20 or 30?

Which is the one which is really engaging individuals?

Isn't ALAC just a handful of organisations being manipulated to cover up for
ICANN's expulsion of the At Large from the Board. You admit that was hard to
justify. Well then, look a the motives of the Board, look at the unwanted
product they have created. Its all a continuum.

Sorry, but the At Large does not reside at ALAC.

yrs,

Richard Henderson