Re: [alac-forum] Domain Name Registrar Transfer Policy

I have read through the documents on the Domain Name Registrar Transfer Policy, and a couple of points jump out at me

1. The focus of the documents is instructing registrars ow to behave, yet the language is very dense from the point of view of the owner of the domain name.  It would be most helpful if you were to establish something along the lines of a domain holder's Bill of Rights which lays out to the consumer what he needs to do to effect a change.

2. The wording of clauses 5 and 7 create confusion:

5. No payment for previous registration period (including credit card charge-backs) if the domain name is past its expiration date or for previous or current registration periods if the domain name has not yet expired. In all such cases, however, the domain name must be put into "Registrar Hold" status by the Registrar of Record prior to the denial of transfer.
7. A domain name is in lock status provided that the registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status
In 5), a registrar could argue that non-payment of a renewal is de facto proof that a name is past its expiration date.  The transfer is blocked until the renewal is paid.
In 7) the means of removing the lock status due to non- renewal is to renew.

It would be much clearer if  the proposal if it contained an explicit statement that
a registrar MUST consent to a request for transfer at any time during a registration period if the registrar has been paid, and also at anytime during the 60 days following expiry if the previous period was paid.
I am alarmed by the behavior of Network Solutions in this regard, who behave as if they are doing us a favor by taking our money.  The client owns the domain name - in some cases, by trademark registration or copyright. Registrars have no right to restrict transfer of the domicile of someone elses property if they have been paid.   Make your rules for the registrars reflect this reality, please.

Thank you

Manfred Humphries