Re: [council] Rodenbaugh Comment re GNSO Restructure Amendments to ICANN Bylaws

Mike,

I'm sure your passionate tirade will generate a lot of comments and there is
certainly a lot to be said.

One of the main points for me is the resentment you speak of. It has become
clear over the past few months that there is a certain amount of
dissatisfaction in the "non-contracted" side of the GNSO. Both the opinions
you voice in your email and the ongoing "NCUC controversy" are obvious signs
of that. It is something that, on a personal level, has me worried. I care
about the GNSO and I believe in the way it brings together such diverging
interests in a (nearly) homogeneous way. I think it would be a great shame
for all concerned if we were not able to maintain this 'entente cordiale' in
the long run.

This is why I feel strongly that discussion should be encouraged on the
points you raise. This despite the fact that, as the general manager of a
company that is forced to have a direct contract with ICANN in order to do
business, I feel that a lot of what you say borders on propaganda and
certainly paints a slanted picture of the real situation. I resent what I
feel is an attempt to stigmatise the contracted parties.

In your assessment of the situation, I don't think you should forget that
the contracted parties find themselves in the unique situation of having to
negotiate their key business contracts in a forum that includes other
parties in addition to the two contracting parties involved. I'm not sure
that when your law firm negotiates a contract with a customer, it discusses
the details of that contract with third parties and even allows them to vote
on certain aspects of that contract...

I think if we can all strive for a little understanding of the other
entities' points of view, we can move forward in a positive way with the
restructuring effort. And address what are very clear and very real feelings
of resentment which, I fully agree, must be addressed.

Thanks,

Stéphane