[council] Response from Barbara Simons to question from Gabriel Piñeiro

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Simons [mailto:simons@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 12:25 PM

Dear Gabriel,

You have asked a good question.  I regret that I didn't have an opportunity
to respond during the call.

ICANN's primary role is to provide the services necessary to facilitate the
operation of the internet.  We discussed some of these services during the
conference call.

As I said earlier, even technical decisions frequently have policy
implications.  As much as possible, these implications should be discussed
and taken into consideration when making policy decisions, especially when
there is more than one option in the decision making process.

However, I believe it is a mistake for ICANN to become involved with policy
issues that are not directly related to the technical operations of the
Internet.  ICANN is a private organization, not a governmental agency.  If
ICANN starts behaving like a governmental agency, it will be overstepping
its authority.  This could create problems that I think we would all like to
avoid.

Regards,
Barbara