RE: [council] Privacy report

Thanks Milton.

I will add this report for the agenda of the council meeting in Rio.

Note from the ICANN bylaws:

"3. Initiation of PDP

The Council shall initiate the PDP as follows:

a. Issue Raised by the Board. If the Board directs the Council to initiate the
PDP, then the Council shall meet and do so within fifteen (15) calendar days
after receipt of the Issue Report, with no intermediate vote of the Council.

b. Issue Raised by Other than by the Board. If a policy issue is presented to
the Council for consideration via an Issue Report, then the Council shall meet
within fifteen (15) calendar days after receipt of such Report to vote on
whether to initiate the PDP. Such meeting may be convened in any manner deemed
appropriate by the Council, including in person, via conference call or via
electronic mail.

c. Vote of the Council. A vote of more than 33% of the Council members present
in favor of initiating the PDP will suffice to initiate the PDP; unless the
Staff Recommendation stated that the issue is not properly within the scope of
the ICANN policy process or the GNSO, in which case a Supermajority Vote of the
Council members present in favor of initiating the PDP will be required to
initiate the PDP."

Under (b) the council will vote on whether to initiate policy action.

Under (c), I will check with the ICANN General Counsel to confirm that the
issue is in the scope of ICANN, to determine the number of votes necessary to
initiate policy action.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin