Re: Insufficient Authentication vulnerability in Asus notebook

On Thursday 14 May 2009 15:39:29 Susan Bradley wrote:
> We're talking XP Home here, right?  A admin account without a password
> cannot be access remotely over the internet, so if you have physical
> access at all times of that Asus netbook it's arguably more secure in
> some circumstances.

Not just XP Home. I can confirm that this "vulnerability" is a standard feature
of several OEM and MS released versions of both XP Home and XP Professional.
In both cases I've had to manually re-set the password to something.

This seems to be a "feature" - since if you have to use the recovery console
it'll ask you for the password for "Administrator"... by default it's blank
and you can just hit enter.

DRH