Re: [HV-INFO] Enova hardware encryption: false sense of security

Hello,

This is Robert Wann and I am representing Enova Technology. I'd like to respond
to your published article about the so called "False Sense of Security" for
balanced review.

My comments follow my signature line and I look forward to your publishing of
our comments (Vendor Comments) to the same sites to balance the view and to
give us an opportunity defending ourselves. Thank you and I look forward to
hearing from you.

Regards,
Robert Wann
CTO
Enova Technology
http://www.enovatech.com
Office +886 3 577 2767
Fax +886 3 577 2770

Here Enova Technology comments

Speaking of X-Wall not being able to hold the secret of the secret key, it is
actually an intended engineering design and has been praised by many well known
cryptographers. As X-Wall does not equip with any none-volatile memory and all
the secret keys reside in the volatile memory, the security of data-at-rest is
guaranteed as long as the power is shut down or the computer goes into
hibernation state. The design was meant for the authentication part to hold the
secret value as it makes sense that secret key will only be released upon
correct authentication. Advantage in this design also guarantee there won?t be
a risk of secret been extracted going through sophisticated semiconductor layer
extraction method.

Speaking of the Enova key fob, there is a reverse diode that safeguards the
accidental insertion of the key fob into a real 1394 (firewire) port that
carries voltage more than 18 Volts. As a result, damage to the key fob due to
mismatch of the firewire port can be avoided.

We would agree that a capable engineer would be able to apply electrical wire
onto the serial bus and snoop the protocol to get to the secret key. But this
is our simplest and basic design which was engineered to educate/show most of
our customers how the X-Wall will be actually functioning. To show the exact
opposite, we also engineered a sophisticated FIPS certified smartcard
authenticated X-Wall design (to view more details, visit our website at
http://www.enovatech.net/products/reference/secureusb_pro.htm). Being said, to
snoop an electrical protocol maybe still a bit tougher than simply installing a
key logger or camera for the password entry. Anyway, to conduct such hot plug
electrical protocol attack, the attacker needs to get hold of the key fob as
well as the circuit board and X-Walled hard drive.

To prevent serial bus sniffing, apply the harden epoxy on the X-Wall such that
it creates chemical effect with the molding compound of the X-Wall to
effectively avoid such attack as the attempts to use special dissolvent would
effectively destroy the molding compound of the X-Wall thus destroy the
circuitry. Alternatively, use the FIPS certified authentication mechanism to
hold the secret key, which can only be released upon correct authentication.