RE: SYMSA-2007-007: Palm OS Treo Smartphone Denial of Service

        When I tested this on my Treo over Verizon's network, only one
packet with the prescribed parameters was needed to force a soft reset
of my phone rather than the flood described in CVE-2003-0293. When I
notified Verizon of this, they were completely unaware of this
vulnerability -- well, at least their help desk people were. I'm hoping
they'll take steps to filter this kind of traffic on their network.
        On a side note, when I was testing this vulnerability, I tried
varying the size of the ICMP packet. Strangely enough, I got no response
if the packet was of size 1469 bytes, or 1471 bytes. There must be
something special about 1470 byte ICMP packets. Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

--

Michael C Bednar
Katz IT Services