Re: Bypassing of web filters by using ASCII

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 05:12:13PM +0200, Amit Klein (AKsecurity) wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2006 at 10:35, Vincent Archer wrote:
> > The same problem did exist in RFC821, which specified the data path as
> > being 7-bit, with the MSB set to 0. The venerable ancestor sendmail did
> > enforce that, by and-ing each and every byte with 0x7F, which means that
> > the IE solution is "slightly better", due to historical precedent.
>
> If we're into precedences, does anyone know what Mosaic 1.0 used to do in
> such case? after

Mosaic didn't really handle charsets.

It used Motif as the underlying toolkit, and rendered the binary text stream
using XmSTRING_DEFAULT_CHARSET, which could default to ISO 8859-1 most of
the time, or something else if you tweaked your X11 installation and
properties.

So, basically, Mosaic worked as firefox/opera do, not as IE.

--
Vincent ARCHER
varcher@xxxxxxxxxxx

Tel : +33 (0)1 40 07 47 14
Fax : +33 (0)1 40 07 47 27
Deny All - 23, rue Notre Dame des Victoires - 75002 Paris - France