Re: Opera 9 DoS PoC

Tested and confirmed on Opera 9.00 built 8482.
Interesting this also managed to crash Notepad.exe on Windows XP SP2
Home Edition when viewing the source of the page in IE7 Beta 2.

Darren Clarke
IT / Comms Admin

Critical Security advisory #009 [http://www.critical.lt]
Advisory can be reached: http://www.critical.lt/?vuln/349

We are: N9, bigb0u, cybergoth, iglOo, mircia, Povilas
Shouts to Lithuanian girlz! and our friends ;]

Product: Opera 9 (8.x is immune to this)
Vuln type: Denial of Service
Risk: moderated
Attack type: Remote

Details:

Vulnerability can be exploited by using a large value in a href tag to
create an out-of-bounds memory access.

Proof Of Concept DoS exploit:
http://www.critical.lt/research/opera_die_happy.html

Research was originaly done by Povilas Tum&#279;nas a.k.a. N9

P.S. To Opera Team, we like your browser and want it to be as good as possible.