Re: PHP security (or the lack thereof)

>For example, allowing users to upload and execute any C executable file to a
>public web server can prove to be quite dangerous.
>
>I think the same can be said for allowing PHP on a public web server, you
>have just allowed anyone with a website to compromise the entire machine.

I think the relevant maxim is "It's possible to write PHP in any language"

>As a threat to the internet in whole, don't you think these public php
>enabled web servers pose an high risk?

I think that any ability of the (l)users to expose executables as web
services threatens the security of the web server machine, irrespective of
programming language.  (But I don't see how it threatens "the internet" --
they can already connect their own misconfigured machine to the net directly)