Re: Postgres: pg_hba.conf, md5, pg_shadow, encrypted passwords

David, Stephen,

> I noted that this was a problem back in August, 2002:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2002-08/msg00253.php
>
> Then, as now, the developers weren't very concerned.

Well, from our perspective, a random salt only protects against a very narrow
range of attack types -- ones in which the attacker already has access to the
physical database and wants to reverse-engineer user's passwords.  We'd be
much more interested in the implementation of more/better authentication
mechanisms.   See follow-up dicussion on pgsql-hackers.

Of course, if either of you *wrote* a random-salt patch for PostgreSQL, psql
and libpq, then that would be a different story.   I don't know that anyone
has anything *against* a random salt.   It's just not nearly as useful as,
for example, implementing SHA1.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus