Re: *nix data wipe tools

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 08:06:07PM +0000, David Cannings wrote:
>Thomas C. Greene wrote:
>> I've posted the final versions of a few simple, free shell scripts that i've
>> been working on to make data hygiene more convenient on *nix systems. Thanks
>> to list members who helped test them and contributed improvements.
>
>Is there any specific advantage of these scripts over bcwipe?

The introduction indicates it does swap and unused disk space.

http://basicsec.org/tools.html
Linux Wipe Tools: Four shell scripts for securely wiping all data from
the swap partition, wiping unused disk space on the root partition, or
wiping an entire disk, by Thomas C. Greene.

http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe_unix.htm
The BCWipe software is intended to give you a confidence that your
deleted files cannot be recovered by an intruder. BCWipe repeatedly
overwrites special patterns to the files to be destroyed.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx