Subject: New Data Wipe Tools
Date: Wednesday 08 September 2004 17:10
From: "Thomas C. Greene" <thomas.greene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bugtraq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've created a few simple shell scripts that use /dev/urandom to wipe data
from the swap partition, wipe unused disk space on the root partition, or
wipe an entire disk.  You'll find them at http://basicsec.org/tools.html.

Data hygiene is generally easier on *nix because there are fewer hiding
places than on a Windows system, but there are no free wipe tools that i'm
aware of. So I got busy.

This is not a perfect solution, but it's a step.  I'd be delighted to knows
from fellow list members what I might do to improve them.  The scripts are
freely available and freely modifyable (is "modifyable" a legitimate word?)

PS: See the README file for cautions, exceptions, and caveats.

thanks,
--tcg

Thomas C. Greene
Associate Editor