Re: Decompression Bombs

I feel.. softwares should check the actual intrigity of data first... before
extracting the archive insted completely trusting on the header information.

 [this will indeed show down the decompression process to some extent...]

But, if the decompressor engines are used by Anti-virus softwarem... etc it
should break the operation and insted list it in its error logs.

but say, a file is stored in a disk and the disk cluster that hold the header
info. of the archive gets corrupt! in that case..... the only way to recover
the data would be to check the intrigity of the archive and recover!

---the only solution could be, ... using small digital signatures in the
archive [say, something like public key of PGP] and only trusted archive should
be opened trusting it's header... otherwise, the decompressor engines should
check the real intrigity of data as well, before proceding further. ----

... I do wanna know what are your views cauz, If you try to write a code to
secure from such problems, it will certainly slow down a normal operation...

[..I feel, soon the world will see digital certificates in JPG files (O; ]