Re: 11 years of inetd default insecurity?

[ On Tuesday, September 9, 2003 at 10:07:08 (-0400), Jonathan A. Zdziarski
wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: 11 years of inetd default insecurity?
>
> I would love a stab at doing this, but does anyone know where the
> original inetd source tree could be found?

You don't want to start with the "original".  Really.

You could start with my version.  I've integrated the best features of
FreeBSD and OpenBSD into one derived the NetBSD version.

See NetBSD's PR#18955.  Let me know if you want the very latest source
from my local 1.6.x-STABLE tree (I should append it to the PR soon though).

        http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=18955

> For reference the Apache DOS Evasive Maneuvers Module can be found at
> http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dosevasive/
>
> The advantage to doing it this way is that nothing goes into 'queue'
> mode, and nothing shuts down...you're cutting off the flooding host (or
> hosts) and nobody else.

I will certainly take a look at the mechanisms implemented for Apache.

Thanks for posting this reference!

>  It would be all too easy to detect an inetd
> flood.

Fending off D.D.o.S. attacks that make normal service requests of public
servers while still maintaining usable services is anything but easy.  :-)

--
                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Planix, Inc. <woods@xxxxxxxxxx>          Secrets of the Weird <woods@xxxxxxxxx>