Re: 11 years of inetd default insecurity?

3APA3A <3APA3A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> III. Details
>
> Inetd has an option
>      -R rate ... default is 256 ...
> ... if more than 256 connections received in one minute [inetd] will
> disable service for next 10 minutes ...
> ... IP address of attacker will never be logged.
>
> IV. Workaround
>
> -R 0 -s your_ad_can_be_here

I guess you are trying to say that xinetd is more configurable than inetd.
Yes, it is known that with inetd you need tcp_wrappers to log attack IPs.

Your cure is worse than the disease: rate limiting allows a DoS against the
service, no limit allows a DoS against the whole machine.

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - psz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia