From: Luke Smith [mailto:luke@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 6:54 PM
To: 'Thor Larholm'; bugtraq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Microsoft Security Update

>MS03-034 (NetBIOS information disclosure) gets a rating of Low, even
though
>Blaster showed us just how many Windows installations run with all
ports
>accessible.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulleti
n/MS03-034.asp

"Under certain conditions, the response to a NetBT Name Service query
may, in addition to the typical reply, contain random data from the
target system's memory. This data could, for example, be a segment of
HTML if the user on the target system was using an Internet browser, or
it could contain other types of data that exist in memory at the time
that the target system responds to the NetBT Name Service query."

It's not something you could directly own the box with, unlike RPC vuln
that Blaster uses; it merely exposes some trivia, thus the "low" rating.

Cheers,

Luke Smith

http://www.messagelabs.com