Re: FW: Microsoft Security Update

>MS03-038 (code execution in Access Snapshot Viewer, an ActiveX control)
got
>a rating of Moderate for webpage based exploits but completely forgets to
>mention HTML email.

While we're criticizing MS's handling of this series of goof-ups I'd like
to point out a bit of MS-03-038 which I suspect most people overlooked:

<quote>
To remove the ability for the old control to be reintroduced on a user&#8217;s
system, a kill bit will be issued for the old control in a forthcoming
Internet Explorer security patch.
</quote>

In other words MS has not yet set the kill bit on this control. Yet old
versions are in widespread circulation and both HTML email and web pages
can be used as an attack vector. Wonderful. Well done.

I'm glad I sat on this for months waiting for MS to tell the world how to
exploit it, and do nothing of substance to protect the majority of users
(those who don't use Access or do not have the control installed).

Although I wouldn't argue with the moderate rating. IMHO they should just
change their severity levels to Massive Disruption of Critical Services,
Vicious, Horrible, and Really Bad.

*sigh*

~x