-----Original Message-----

From:  "Nick Ashton-Hart" <nick.ashton-hart@xxxxxxxxx>
Subj:  Re: [NA-Discuss] Suggestion: Name the public as intended beneficiary of
RALO MOUs
Date:  Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:33 am
Size:  2K
To:  "Wendy Seltzer" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc:  "Michael Maranda" <mmaranda@xxxxxxxx>, na-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To clarify, as I have been given to understand the MoUs between ICANN
and the regions is not a contract as that term is understood in law.
It is an agreement, but not of legal standing such as a contract.

I am seeking clarification from the GCs office with respect to the
other points raised and suggested.

What lawsuit do you envisage precisely when below you suggest that the
only obligation of a RALO is to disseminate information? And why would
the individual ALSes wish to sign an MoU that allows any in the
general public to sue them - since they are the other party to ICANN
in the MoU and since it has been said in this chain that one could sue
either the RALO or ICANN.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

On 23/03/07, Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > >Also:  What will "expressly enforceable" look like?
> >
> > It wouldn't do anything directly, but it would mean that anyone could
> > bring a lawsuit if ICANN or the RALO breached its contractual
> > obligations.  To that end, we should put into the MOU more of the
> > things we've been insisting ICANN do for the at-large public.
>
> :What "contractual obligations" will
> the RALO have?  (Is the MOU a contract?)
>
> The world of ICANN      is built around contracts rather than public law. In
> that environment, the only way to get anything done is to have an enforceable
> contract right (or to get your views endorsed by someone who does or by a
> sufficiently influential government).  The MOU is our chance to establish
> contractual rights for the individual Internet user against ICANN.  If we
> don't do that, the RALO will be as useless as every other mode of so-called
> public participation.
>
> : What resources will the RALO have to meet those obligations, and where
> will those resources come from?  Will they be sufficient to meeting those
> obligations?
>
> The RALO's obligations are to disseminate information.  I was merely
> mentioning them for completeness.
>
> --Wendy

> ---
> Draft MoU with ICANN: