From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:58:21 +1000
Subject: [council] Update on  Declaration of conflict of interest

Hello All,

I need to update my conflict of interest statement below.

In my role as Chief Technology Officer of Melbourne IT, I have requested
that Verisign voluntarily suspend the Sitefinder service and participate
in the various review processes now underway.

Melbourne IT voted in favour of a motion in the registrars constituency
(see:
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/broitman-to-twomey-01oct03.htm)
concerning the Sitefinder service, supports the request from ICANN for
Verisign to voluntarily suspend the service
(http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-19sep03.htm), supports the
recommendations of ICANN's Security and Stability Committee
(http://www.icann.org/correspondence/secsac-to-board-22sep03.htm), and
supports the GNSO resolution passed at the last Council meeting
(consistent with Registrar interests)

As a result of my request of Verisign to consider carefully the issues
raised by the ICANN community, Verisign asked me to chair a group of
internal Verisign technical staff and external people to collate and
address each of the issues that have been raised by the community.  I am
doing this as I believe that it is important to work with all parties on
this issue.   I don't hold myself out to be a technical expert on the
subject of wildcards, but I hope I can help with processes to address
technical issues as they are raised. I am receiving no compensation (nor
would I accept any compensation), nor is Melbourne IT receiving any
compensation for this role.
The details of this group can be found here:
http://www.verisign.com/nds/naming/sitefinder/trp.html
Verisign will take its own actions in response to any advice it
receives.

It is still both Melbourne IT's and my personal opinion that Verisign
should show good faith and voluntarily suspend the service while the
issues are analysed.

At a personal level, if I am ever publicly critical of how things have
been done by an individual or organisation, I also accept an obligation
to attempt to work in good faith with the entity to correct the problem.

I have heard from members of the community that I may have compromised
the GNSO in my actions, and that is not my intent.  I apologise to the
GNSO Council if that is the result.

To avoid any conflicts of interest with the GNSO I will not chair any
discussion on the Sitefinder service, but I will support any
recommendation of the GNSO on this matter.

If it is the wish of the GNSO Council, I am also happy to resign as
chair if the GNSO believes that the conflict of interest is too severe.

My current term as GNSO chair expires at the end of the ICANN annual
meeting in Carthage Tunisia, at which time the constituencies will need
to appoint their new members, and the new council will need to formally
elect a chair of the GNSO.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
Registrars Representative on the GNSO Council

----- End forwarded message -----