Re: [ga] Redelegation issues

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, at 11:44 [=GMT-0400], Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School...:

> I think that people outside the country, including ICANN, have a right to
> make independent decisions concerning how they choose to react to a
> country's exercise of its sovereign powers.  Conversely, I think a country
> has the right to the substantially unfettered exercise of those powers --
> at home.
>
> Thus, if a country wants to regulate its ccTLD, it may.  If it wants to
> nationalize it, it may subject to international norms on nationalizations.
>
> But it can't *make* me do anything if I live abroad unless I choose to.
>
> Suppose country X tortures a ccTLD admin into agreeing to a redelegation.
> I think it might be perfectly appropriate to ignore that.

Although I value your ideas and decisions, in this case it might be more
interesting, especially for the immediate consequences, what the
administrators of the following nameservers for ZA do:

*za.                     2D IN NS        AUTH00.NS.UU.NET.
za.                     2D IN NS        UCTHPX.UCT.AC.za.
*za.                     2D IN NS        MUNNARI.OZ.AU.
*za.                     2D IN NS        NS.EU.NET.
*za.                     2D IN NS        FLAG.EP.NET.
*za.                     2D IN NS        RAIN.PSG.COM.
za.                     2D IN NS        APIES.FRD.AC.za.
za.                     2D IN NS        HIPPO.RU.AC.za.

Those marked * (5 out of 8) are not even _near_ South Africa...

> All this is of course separate from the question of what those of us
> outside SA should do if this project goes forward; my point here is purely
> that we have legal and moral freedom of action, not to suggest either that
> the situation is anything like the torture hypo, nor that a particular
> reaction is necessarily the correct one.

So, what should be our position, and more importantly, of those that run
the above mentioned servers, and the root zone (ICANN, USG)?